Australian Institute of Criminology
Skip to content
Alcohol and violence: February 2011
- Reducing harm in drinking environments : a systematic review of effective approaches / Lisa Jones ... et al.
Centre for Public Health, Liverpool John Moores University, 2010
Summary: Provides the findings from a systematic literature review of studies conducted in Europe, UK, USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, aimed at exploring the effects of interventions implemented in drinking environments on a range of harms, including alcohol consumption, under-age alcohol sales, violence and road traffic crashes.
- Substance use among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people / Michelle Gourley ... et al.
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2011
Summary: Brings together national data to provide a comprehensive picture of smoking, alcohol and illicit substance consumption patterns among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, to assist the work of the National Indigenous Drug and Alcohol Committee(NIDAC)
- Beyond disorder, danger, incompetence and ignorance : rethinking the youthful subject of alcohol and other drug policy / David Moore
Contemporary drug problems 37(3) Fall 2010: 475-498
Summary: Compares media representations of young alcohol and other drug users with the findings of three qualitative research projects conducted in Perth and Melbourne
- Controlling 'rivers of grog' : the challenge of alcohol problems in Australian Indigenous communities / Peter D'Abbs
Contemporary drug problems 37(3) Fall 2010: 499-524
Summary: Traces the evolution of policies affecting Indigenous alcohol use, and of concerns expressed by both Indigenous and non-Indigenous commentators about problems in controlling drinking at a local level.
- Lose your bottle : young people and alcohol / Natalie Williams
Safer communities 10(1) Jan 2011: 9-15
Summary: An analysis into public place violent crime in Hastings, UK, revealed a problem with underage drinking and led to the Safer Hastings Partnership involving 175 local young people in peer educational resources development.
- Our problem with alcohol : Police Association supports raising the alcohol purchasing age to 20 / Steve Plowman
New Zealand Police Association police news 44(1) Jan/Feb 2011: 10-13
Summary: Outlines findings and recommendations of the 2010 New Zealand Law Commission report, 'Alcohol In Our Lives: Curbing The Harm'
- Screening and brief intervention of detainees for alcohol use : a social crime prevention approach to combating alcohol-related crime? / Barton. Adrian
The Howard journal of criminal justice 50(1) Feb 2011: 62-74
Summary: The article provides data and discussions on the Screening and Brief Intervention (SBI) project that screened 3,900 detainees in a busy custody suite in the south of England during the period March 2007 to March 2008.
- Sober reality of alcohol-related crime
Blueprint no. 31 Dec 2010: 24-26
- The impact of the Licensing Act 2003 on drinking habits, offences of crime and disorder, and policing in England's newest city / Stuart Kirby and Laura Hewitt
Safer communities 10(1) Jan 2011: 31-38
Summary: Interviews with police officers, licence holders and paramedics in Preston, UK, reveal that drinking and associated crime patterns have been extended into the early hours of the morning, but that incidents of alcohol-related crime have reduced
- The Licensing Act 2003, five years on : taking stock and stumbling into the future / Andrew Newton
Safer communities 10(1) Jan 2011: 20-30
Summary: Discusses the impact of the Licensing Act 2003 (LA03), focusing on how it has
been introduced to, and has influenced, the night-time economy, and examining the impact of the LA03 on alcohol-related crime, disorder and harm to health, within an urban context.
- The problem with drink / Robert Poole, Catherine A Robinson and Lindsey Poole
Safer communities 10(1) Jan 2011: 47-51
Summary: Increase in availability of alcohol in UK has been associated with a dramatic increase in alcohol-related harm, calling for policies that reflect scientific evidence.